Moving can often be a time-consuming process, especially if you leave everything until the last minute. With careful planning, it can be a lot easier than you think. This moving checklist breaks down what you should do in advance, to make your move a stress-free experience.
8 to 5 Weeks Before Moving
It may seem like you have plenty of time left, but it’s best to get started on some bigger tasks now. They include:
- Keep a list of all your incoming mail, and organisations to notify about a change of address
- Start to use up food in the fridge, freezer, and long-life food in the pantry. Try to cut down on buying groceries and use up what you have left before you move.
- Make a list of everything you have which needs to be moved, room by room
- Let your friends and family know that you will be moving, and tell them your new address details
- Clean out your garage, garden shed, and roof gutters
- Sell or donate any items you don’t wish to bring with you to your new home, including large furniture.
- If you have kids, notify their school, and start looking for a new school.
4 Weeks Before Moving
- Start getting together your important documents like medical documents and school records.
- If you are renting, notify your landlord you will be moving.
3 Weeks Before Moving
- Make a list of all the organisations you need to advise about your change of address.
- Prepare to sell any vehicles or items you regularly use which you won’t be taking with you.
2 Weeks Before Moving
- If you have any pets, arrange transport with them, or for them to stay in a familiar place during moving day.
- Begin to notify companies about your new address.
1 Week Before Moving
- Redirect your mail with Australia Post.
- Change your address for your license and vehicle registration.
5 Days Before Moving
- Organise utility disconnection and re-connection at your new address
- Change your address for any deliveries such as newspapers, magazines etc.
3 Days Before Moving
- Clear out your garage and empty your rubbish bins.
- Take any unneeded medicines to your local pharmacy for them to correctly dispose of it.
- Cancel any home services such as cleaning or lawn mowing.
- Dispose of any flammable materials such as fuel.
1 Day Before Moving
- Defrost your fridge and freezer.
- Wash and clean the inside of your fridge.
- Make sure your electricity, gas, and water meters have a final reading.
- Disconnect the washing machine from the water supply. Drain out all the water, and dry the inside of the machine.
The big day is finally here. On moving day, make sure to:
- Carry any important documents and valuable items with you.
- Turn off all electrical switches, lights, taps, and gas.
- Lock the doors and windows.
- Double-check each room in the house to make sure nothing is left behind.
- You should discard any open and unsealed food and liquids.
- Clean down your tools, lawnmower, garbage bins, and any other outdoor items.
- If you have to put your belongings in storage, make sure they are clearly labelled, and any essential items you will need are kept with you.
Prepare A Survival Box
Keep all the essential items you will need immediately in your new home together in a box which you keep with you. They include
- Coffee mugs
- Toilet paper
- Hand Wash/Soap
- Sanitary items
- Favourite toys for your kids and/or pets
- Plastic cutlery and paper plates
- A change of clothes
- Bottled water
For a seamless and well-planned moving experience, Optimove has got you covered. Experience superior service at incredible value for money. Call 1300 400 874 or contact us online today for an obligation-free quote.